Wednesday 4 June 2014

skua clout

I spent some of last week in the far north west of Scotland. One evening I clambered onto a headland to give me a look at the sunset. I did not bargain with the resident landowners. A pair of Arctic Skua.

They are a sturdy bird, typically 41 to 46 cm body length with a 110 to 125 cm wingspan. When I watch them flying I am reminded of the old British warplane, the Buccaneer. I read somewhere that the word “skua” comes from the Old Norse term for seagull. As winter approaches they head south to the Southern Hemisphere before reappearing in Scotland about April each year.

Anyway that be as it may, the pair I encountered last week were firmly settled on their patch and I was not welcome. I saw them in the air some distance from my spot. I settled to catch the sunset and my next encounter with the Arctic Skua was being struck forcibly across the back of my head. I was wearing a hat. I had not seen the attack materialize. I forgot the sunset at that point and for the next few minutes I dodged their attacks. I tried to catch my discomfort on camera and swung about clicking as best I could. A difficult operation. After a few minutes they settled on a nearby rocky out crop and I managed a couple of snaps of the sunset over the North Minch.

After a short breather and no doubt a discussion about their tactics, they were up in the air again and my head was the centre of more aerial bombardment. The following photographs evidence the whole process, from surveillance to attack.

On the left a skua circles, to distract me.
On the right its partner launches an attack.




The last picture, a bit rushed, obviously, is the moment of impact as I get a clout on my head.
I packed up and left the pair sitting on their usual outcrop. As I vacated the hill, watching my footing whilst picking my way down through the heather and rocks I was victim to their last sneaky attack. I never heard the approach, but I did feel the clout on the back of my head. Brilliant. I am so impressed by these fearless birds. They are beautiful birds and real characters. It was my privilege to be allowed so near them.

Now I know what it feels like to work for Jethro on NCIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment